Mannele are typical cookies from the Easter part of France ( Alsace and Lorraine )baked before the Saint Nicolas on the 6 December. These lovely sweet bread are prefect for a pre Christmas treat with jam !
shopping list :
- 600 g flour
- 1 sachet of dry yeast
- 330 ml of warm milk
- 55g sugar
- 1 egg
- 60 g softened butter
- 1 egg yolk for gilding
- 1 tablespoon milk
1.Warm the milk a few second in the micro wave. The milk should not be hot and be around room temperature. It is easy to find out : stick a finger in the milk and if should feel like blood temperature.
2. Stir the yeast into the milk until completely dissolved. In a bowl, mix the flour, the room temperature butter, the sugar, salt and the egg and mix with hand or with a kitchen aid.
3. Add progressively the milk with the yeast dissolved. Knead the dough until it has a smooth, supple and non sticky aspect.
4. Cover with a towel and let it rest in a warm room or in the oven with a low temperature for an hour an a half until the dough has more than double.
5. When the dough has risen, punch it to let the air go. Lay the dough with a rolling pin and form the Mannele with the cookie cutter with a man shape.
6. Lay the Mannele on a baking paper and let it rest for another 45 minutes in a warm place.
7. Whip the milk and the egg yolk and brush the mannele with the mixture. Pre-warm the oven at 180 degres Celsius and cook the cookie for 15 minutes.
let it cool on the grill before eating 🙂