Pumpkin soup can be declined in so many ways. One of my favourite or should I say Coup de Coeur is the vanilla and pumpkin soup. I was tipped to use vanilla pod in pumpkin soup by my friend Laura in France last year when I visited her. She always has such good taste.
The addition of vanilla pod ( I use Bourbon vanilla ) bring a nice , warm and exotic flavour.
in your shopping bag :
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 kilos (4 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in chunks
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon natural vanilla extract /one vanilla pod split open
- A sprinkle of nutmeg
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add in the onion and cook over medium-high heat for five minutes or until golden.
- Add in the butternut squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Pour in hot water with and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla pod split in half. Cook for 10 more minutes, or until the squash is soft.
- Remove the vanilla pod and mix the butternut squash chunck. Sprinkle a bit of nutmeg.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning, and serve.